Thursday 27 March 2014

RAC Car Warranty - Review

When I purchased my Citreon C4 Grand Picasso the dealer was good enough to throw in a free RAC Warranty which looked like a great deal considering it cost be nothing.

A week later a fault developed in the central locking system so I took it to the garage for a "diagnostic check" which confirmed that the motor inside the boot was not getting the signal from the central locking system to release the boot lock.

Armed with this information I rang up the RAC and told them what the garage had confirmed (it is a known fault apparently). After much messing around and checking of details I was told that the warranty did not cover handles. Like I said to the operator it was not the handle, it was the electronic mechanise inside the boot at fault but that didn't wash.

I paid for the repair myself which took under an hour and cost just under £150 (roughly the excess on the Warranty policy anyway) but I am still annoyed at the RAC warranty cover and the massive list of "vague exclusions" that they include in their terms and conditions that they can use to wriggle out of almost any repair imaginable.

My advice is save your money and don't take this car warranty out. A new vehicle would be covered under the manufactures warrant most times anyway and a vehicle over 10 years probably isn't going to get covered anyway.
Like all insurance, it is like purchasing a lottery ticket on the basis that something may happen in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment